The Proposed Development
(Click the image for a larger view.)
The proposed development will comprise the construction of a new Lidl food store with associated car parking, servicing and landscaping.
The new food store will extend to 2,125 sq. m gross internal area, with a net sales of 1,325 sq. m. The new food store will be supported by 140 car parking spaces, including 7 dedicated disabled spaces and 9 parent and child spaces. Secure cycle storage will also be provided close to the store entrance.
Existing vehicular access from Newhaven Road will be utilised, subject to minor amendments. A new pedestrian access leading through the site, from Newhaven Road, will be incorporated.
It is proposed that the food store will be open between the hours of:
- 8am to 10pm Monday to Saturday (including Bank Holidays), and
- 10am to 4pm or 11am to 5pm Sunday
Benefits of the proposed development
The development of the site will provide the following benefits of the local area:
- Rejuvenation ofa vacant, brownfield site;
- A purpose built store which provides a clean and fresh shopping experience to meet the needs of customers;
- A dedicated in-store bakery;
- Improved shopping choice and provision of a new mainstream discount operator for Kingsway and the surrounding area;
- Employment opportunities, including up to 40 new retail jobs for local residents;
- Landscaping will be sympathetically proposed to enable visual amenity of the food store whilst maintaining soft landscaping around the boundary of the site. A large proportion of existing trees onsite will remain, with a number of new trees being replanted along Newhaven Road and on the Rudloe Drive approach to Kingsway.